Sunday, April 19, 2020

3 Week Personal Health Update - Almost Out Of The Woods

https://images.hive.blog/DQmP2J7JuX2MW1PJpc96HT59oZnSZA3HbScmCqjYY5bZYYY/image.png

image.png

[](https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1566892674l/50756995._SX0_SY0_.jpg) 21 days since I got sick and I still can't shake my cough. It's coming from the upper middle of my chest and upper throat. I've started to lose my voice. Three weeks of a dry hack gets annoying and serves as a constant reminder of what I went through. To those who didn't know, yea, I got the virus, and so did 3-4 of my immediate neighbors (one confirmed at the hospital). I wasn't the first though... hmm. My taste and smell is at about 70% now, a welcome improvement. This took a long time to return over the last week. Eating eggs, spaghetti, beans, oatmeal and tuna for weeks lacks enough flavor, so I didn't miss much. Add water, tea and protein powder for liquids, ditto. Given where I live, I refuse to order delivery. I'll need to get some groceries soon, ironically the place I feel I contracted the virus in the first place. I'll wait a little longer for safety reasons though. I've lost about 13-15 pounds during this experience. I was in solid shape before this, so while I haven't been able to exercise, I'm shredded right now. The definition is great, but what good does it do me when I can't be at the park, dragging myself out there to try to date, or playing sports? My caloric intake isn't very high with what I've had left in my stockpile, and I have a super fast metabolism (sorry). My main goal has been keeping my protein up so I don't lose muscle. While I don't like being lighter to lose power for baseball, there _is no_ baseball right now, so I'll take the small victory. Major frown for missing out on what brings me pure joy so far. I worked so hard during the offseason to be in top shape, but I'll return stronger and faster when it's safe. Perhaps we'll start playing in June if my city opens the parks. I'm also hesitant to start exercising while my cough, chest and throat linger. My body feels ready to go, but not my respiratory system. I feel that I can do low impact stuff that doesn't make me lose my breath, but don't want to learn the hard way if I aggravate anything. I'm still taking a steroid asthma inhaler, but it's not doing much now. Sleep has been my saving grace. I think more sleep and time will lead to my full recovery. It'll probably take a while longer though. _Damn._ The highlight of last week was stumbling on 4 pounds of frozen chicken I forgot I had. Needless to say, it was all gone in 24 hours. Taste not required. Small victories, people. I did 3 recycling walks last week (not full walks) to get some fresh air when the streets were empty. I found a lot of good stuff and have let it sit untouched for a few days for safety reasons. My neighbor gave me some extra Clorox wipes since I'd ran out, and I've been using them wisely. I'm still good on masks, but am running out of gloves. I'm starting to save some for reuse if I get stuck, but will look to order/find some this week. In exchange for her kindness, service as a COVID nurse, and the steak dinner she made me during the first week, I offered her 4 pairs of shoes I found last Monday that were in her size. What good luck! Gucci, Salvatore Ferragamo x2, and Tory Burch. She surprisingly said they weren't here style, but to keep the offers coming. I then offered her a pair of mint Ray-Bans I found on the curb a while back and she said she doesn't look good in them. Tough customer, but she deserves something nice, so I'll keep trying. As always, here's the proof:

image.png

image.png

I'm also trying to help my neighbor above who got sick taking care of our 90 year old neighbor who eventually stopped being stubborn after 3 weeks and went to the hospital, where he was confirmed as having Covid-19. I went out and bought her some meds she needed and added some bonus stuff for a nice surprise. We've never really talked before this but she seems like she could become a good friend after this is all done. I'm planning on recording a drum video for her tomorrow to help cheer her up. It's a song by her favorite artist, David Bowie. I've been listening to two songs I'll record for her a lot to internalize them since I can't practice on my set with the neighbors home. Regardless, I should have a slot to play tomorrow with their permission since the nurse below me is at work all day. It'll be a good test to see how my body and chest feel after. Surprise! My ex girlfriend from over 8 years ago emailed me last night for the first contact in over 6 years. WHAT? She wanted to let me know that she just found out about my Dad's death, which was 2 years ago. She went on to say how great of a man he was, how he'd be proud of me, his legacy lives on in me, and lots of that mushy stuff. How wrong since she's running on version Matt 2.012. She also laced the email with comments about missing me, thinking of me often, and how she's grown as a person. Sigh. She was not a good person and the things she did can never be forgiven. Needless to say, bad dreams with my Dad in them ensued. Par for the course when people bring him up like that. ------ Going back in time, here were my other posts as I went through this non-fun virus experience. - [Day 3](https://hive.blog/covidlife/@steemmatt/day-3-with-the-virus-people-joke-about-are-bored-at-home-over-please-stop-complaining) - [Day 8](https://hive.blog/covidlife/@steemmatt/sick-for-8-days-now-my-experience-so-far) - [Day 12](https://hive.blog/ocd/@steemmatt/day-12-with-the-virus-almost-better-but-sick-of-people-blogging-about-how-hard-quarantine-life-is-when-they-re-healthy) ---- I can't believe it's been 3 weeks, and I'm still not done, but thank God I was able to heal on my own. The asthma/airways issues were scary for the first week, but have been merely frustrating and uncomfortable since. The other viral symptoms and side-effects weren't easy for the first week, but they're fading into the past now. I can live with that. The key word is _live._ Ok, time for more spaghetti. I'm running low on tomato sauce, but have a few sticks of butter left. I need the damn calories so I think it'll be butter tonight. _Riveting._ Thanks to everyone who kept tabs on me and left nice comments. Matt
Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/health/@steemmatt/3-week-personal-health-update-almost-out-of-the-woods

No comments:

Post a Comment