Monday, April 20, 2020

Abundance Challenge day 21, Probiotics

https://files.peakd.com/file/peakd-hive/edouard/ZkULu0Ck-IMG_20200416_155735.jpg
Ever since I heard about the massive confinement areas in Wuhan, I knew the world economy would be disrupted to the extent that we are seeing right now and that this could eventually spell food shortages. I became very interested in making sprouts and all kinds of fermentations in order to add value to my food as much as possible. I recently purchased some arigulae which mum tried to sprout like alfalfa but it became all gooey, forcing her to do more research. She is scrappy that one, you can see reused cellophane to sprout them on a wet towel misted with water twice a day. Next to it is the alfalfa which we simply rinse at least twice a day through the mesh. The elastic comes from a bunch of asparagus which is an excellent prebiotic. ## But what on earth is a prebiotic?

IMG_20200416_155735.jpg

IMG_20200420_215140_561.jpg

The beneficial probiotic bacteria we ingest, need to be fed once they arrive in our gut. Probiotic bacteria look exactly like their wild cousins teeming on just about any surface you can think of. However, they hold the secret power to turn sugars into lactic acid and they emerge stronger when you always feed them similar things. That way, they tend to unleash the potential of the hydrosoluble B complex of vitamins. I suspect that you can train them to make Vitamin A more absorbable but I have yet to find evidence to prove my theory. These lactic acid transforming microbes are quite different from those involved in producing alcohol and will be the main focus today. ## Where can we find them? Kombucha is a great source, make it strong, and cut it with water to avoid acidity in the system. Home made yogurt and kefir are great too!

IMG_20200416_155544.jpg

Time to boil the pots (I hear cooking mama say you're not mine) https://media.giphy.com/media/h8O73ufwRP2P8DSBNn/giphy.gif Much better, now Mr. Kefir has a new home, moooooh! I wash my pot every two weeks and practically never for Kombucha because their defense against bad bacteria is top notch. It is much more likely you will drink too much than to end up with a botched Kombucha batch. Back to probiotics, most of the ones we ingest die in an inferno of digestive fluids before the survivors make it in our intestines. The ones that do are most welcome if they differ from the bacteria which were all living there. ## Is this where prebiotics come in? Absolutely, bear in mind, a strong gut needs a large variety of strains of these probiotics and once they pass the inferno of our stomach, the trauma changes them forever. From now on, they will not eat sugars anymore but fibre (more theory than fact). Surviving in the linings of our intestinal tract, they will need a mucous-like substance such as the goo like the one that appears around chia or flax when you soak it, both those foods count as prebiotic. They will also need sturdy fibre like that found in konjac, asparagus and greenish bananas. They appreciate the lighter fibres of apple, pear or even carrots. Sauerkraut is a safe bet, because it is food for probiotics within or out of the system. By feeding new arrivals the right food, they stand a chance of competing in the wild fauna you have carried ever since you were born. So little is known about this rich universe and the role that fungus, algae and even the mysterious probiotic viruses, play in this ecosystem. I hope that science can help us better understand vitamins and other antioxidants with breakthroughs on the synergy within our bellies.

IMG_20200416_155932.jpg

I was wondering if my organic adzuki beans would sprout. They do! Hahahahaha! I believe curating and otherwise being a part of the @naturalmedicine community has helped me see healthy eating as an incredible anti-depressant and to truly perceive the stomach as being the second brain of the body, I nourish it abundantly but I would not say with effortless ease, because cooking is hard work! XD # Day 21 lasted 21 days This is the epic conclusion to the abundance challenge organized by @plantstoplanks a long time ago! The day 21 meditation is also passed but I wanted to hold on to the challenge to keep me going in these hard times. Last time, the insightful @plantstoplanks left me this beautiful comment to the effect that I have stretched this challenge for so long. I am only ending it now that I feel ready to stand on my own two feet, without the nurturing effect of the universal field. > I am actually kind of pleased you didn't finish at the same time as others because I love this extended reminder of what a wonderful journey the Abundance Challenge is! I adore the little look into your life and relationship with your mother and still am so enamored with her spirit. I did giggle a bit with the specific reference of the CK underwear. Love it! What an envigorating thought to keep me going and to involve my mum in my journey every chance I get. I was thrilled to get the assignments on Discord and this last one is an encouragement from me to you to get in Nature. https://youtu.be/_AaG3vXD-SE Doing the daily meditations after Deepak Chopra's talks as helped me understand that the source of abundance is infinite and therefore there is no point in trying to hoard something like happiness. More than ever, we feel a state of lack which is all the more reason to meditate in an effort to adapt and to be grateful for what we have. I can better temper my envy for those who have more and better yet not to feel guilty about those in pain but having compassion towards them. I often feel guilty about the cost of modern living on poorer nations who suffer at the expense of the luxury I have become accustomed to, starting with cheap goods made in China. But I learned to let go of the guilt to make way for a deeper acceptance of what I can not change. I also want to thank @riverflows for being an incredible mentor and @vincentnijman for being such a great friend! One challenge is over and another begins and I am excited at the idea of getting back into meditation. I must emphasize that I would rather get trough this with my tribe than to fall meaninglessly in a vortex of despair. Ok! maybe that was a bit dramatic, all I mean to say is that we are stronger together. # But what does Abundance have to do with probiotics? Because silly: we have many many of them in our bellies to thank for a strong immune system. https://images.hive.blog/0x0/https://i.imgur.com/rlr2mHG.gif https://images.hive.blog/0x0/https://files.steempeak.com/file/steempeak/riverflows/XfLEtKUi-image.png
Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/hive-120078/@edouard/abundance-challenge-day-21-probiotics

No comments:

Post a Comment