Wednesday, May 12, 2021

🍹 Tamarind roti! 🍹 Making use of local ingredients πŸŽ‹ Act local think global 🌏

https://images.hive.blog/p/2dk2RRM2dZ8gKjXsrozapsD83FxL3Xbyyi5LFttAhrXxr16mCe4arfLHE1cK3Ttw2aXvMWecSaVhMxJTENjYbwVpoLzWrL2FupLucM6WCRAxgZa73LxANosB4WFm5ABzpRrQRc5ZK3966pthZ6tSDhoNMYp7FZDvA5TChrg9sB?format=match&mode=fit

HE'S DEAD! NOW HE'S ALIVE!(1).gif

Roti has been my go to whenever I've been hungry rather in India or Malaysia. Basically wherever I can find real Indian food. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Thai food but I need something more than rice and noodles in my diet. Thailand has its version of roti which is more of a sweet desert than a standard roti which is fine in itself but not meeting my normal needs. I decided one day to make my own simple version and here we are! You get a real sense of self worth when you cook our own food. I find that it tastes better, I know exactly what's in my food and the amount is exactly as I wish.

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Keeping it local

I like to keep my ingredients as local as possible. I've made roti with ginger from my garden which is really tasty but today we're going to make roti with tamarind. There is a massive tamarind tree next to my house at least 80 years old. The squirrels knock off the fruit every day so I can use them for cooking. Thanks squirrels!


untitled.gif

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Step by step

I've seen roti made a million times yet had never made it before until I decided one day to give it a try. I was impressed and since then make almost daily. The perfect snack; quick and healthy. So here is what you need and how to do it.


rotflour.jpg
Depends on how big you want your roti. I like a big size.

rotsalt.jpg
I'm not a big salt and sugar guy but a bit is nice for taste

rotioil.jpg
The same is for oil but needed a bit

rotistiritup.jpg
Stir it up like Bob Marley said to

rotireadyforhands.jpg
Time to get your hands dirty. Absolutely necessary to get the proper ball of dough.

rotiperfect.jpg

And there it is

rotiletsroll.jpg

I keep it simple and use a bottle. I know a proper roller is better but it works just fine for me. I like to find new uses for things.

rotipresstamarind.jpg

Just press the tamarind in there and cover it up with a bit of dough.

rotireadyforheat.jpg

I use a metal grill to cook my roti rather than a pan so actually its somewhere between a roti and nan perhaps. Regardless it does the trick and I'm a minimalist so the less things I have the better. I really try to do with what I have.

rotiletsgetcooking.jpg

I use this little camping style stove as you can get right on the flame.

rotiready.jpg
After a bit of flipping and attention the roti is ready for eating. When it puffs up you know you're on the right track!

rotidone.jpg

Easy as that and you're ready to eat with a nice chai! Bon appetit.

untitled.gif

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

If you enjoyed the post feel free to upvote and reblog. Comments are always welcome too! Hope you make your own roti today :)

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴


Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/hive-120078/@chrisinphuket/tamarind-roti-making-use-of-local-ingredients-act-local-think-global

No comments:

Post a Comment