Friday, May 28, 2021

More Vegetables, Less Sugar: Keeping On Top of Adrenal Fatigue and Feeling Healthy

https://images.hive.blog/p/2dk2RRM2dZ8gKjXsrozapsD83FxL3Xbyyi5LFttAhrXxr16mCe4arfLJJ4fF1S1GVFuPqHM7dwgajSGLQxt8VijV1pcHdTB3PRfALaJ5xh3wB45K5fZoC2nndX2ehTsobjS5vW3tHp1zu6XmarCmNaTF69TQnRR8GsjoytXHkA?format=match&mode=fit

I've been blessed food wise, I've begun to realise. I've never had any allergies to food, unless you count the usual histamine overload with wine or the asthmatic wheeze that is stimulated by sulphites in dried apricots and the like, but it's never been life threatening. I'm blessed with good gut health, and being raised vegetarian by a health conscious Mum who was also - is also - a great cook, I've also been well aware of what food and food combinations are good for me.

Food's never been mysterious for me - I have a healthy relationship with it, and unlike my poor FODMAP intolerant husband, I don't have to exclude anything from my diet. I usually follow the 'eat anything, as long as it's tons of veggies' rule, occasionally eat cheese or ethical meat, and don't eat a lot of carbs. I've never liked a lot of carbs, though I'm prone to a good old pasta or baked potatoes like anyone. I just feel wrong if I don't eat tons of vegetables, or eat too much bread. I listen to my body, and tend not to diet as such.

I'm grateful for a garden so I ca grow lots of vegetables to supplement my diet, and eating well is definitely a motivator for growing my own food.



Home grown goodness

image.png
Asparagus with tahini, avocado and coconut yoghurt

Saying that, I'm prone to adrenal fatigue, something that medicine doesn't like to diagnose because it appears so non specific - body aches, fatigue, light headedness, and restless sleep. Wired but tired is often the description that suits adrenal fatigue. There's no test for adrenal fatigue, which is why doctors won't diagnosis it, but when I was told that was likely what was wrong with me fifteen years ago, and we treated it accordingly, I felt better. That's good enough for me.

According to theory, adrenal fatigue happens when you can't keep up with stress - it's like you are in a constant stage of fight or flight. They say it's a kind of adrenal burn out from over producing cortisol. It often happens after long periods of stress, and whilst fifteen years ago I didn't realise I was stressed, moving country to be with a man I'd just met and being a single mum for four years was enough to do it. I was just so tired all the time, and felt there was something really wrong with me that I couldn't pinpoint. I spent years having an afternoon nap and would be a mess without it. Having the support of a naturopath at the time was such a relief. She look at my irises and said: 'Oh, honey, no wonder you've been so exhausted'.



Moong dal with toppings


Potatoes with Olives and Rosemary

These days I know the warning signs of adrenal fatigue, and pretty much eat a diet that stops me getting to the point I did all those years ago. Sugar is a big no-no, and since I don't have a sweet tooth, it wasn't much of a stretch to cut it out of my diet. That's not to say I don't binge on chocolate once in a while or never eat cake, it's just I don't eat it every day, and if I do eat sugar, I feel the difference - jittery and wired. Lots of liver supporting herbs and foods help too - leafy greens, milk thistle, turmeric, rosemary tea, because I want my liver to sustain me, not my adrenals. If my adrenals are working hard to keep me going through the day, something is definitely going to go wrong, so I need my liver happy and nourished. I'm fine on a coffee or two, but if I'm particularly having a stressful time at work, I won't have coffee and will replace it with a homemade cacao, reishi and ashwagandwa blend that keeps me alert but calm. Alcohol is a bit of a no no, but I still have a drink on the weekends, a few glasses of wine or a beer or two, and that seems to be okay. It's just about listening to my body.

One thing I find brilliant is having a handful of nuts in the afternoon, which gets me through the mid arvo slump. Once you start eating with awareness you know that carbs and coffee are the worst thing to get you through. I watch my colleagues on their cycle of coffee-chocolate-coffee and wonder how they function.



Samosas in India - always my weakness


Hemp seed and bean burgers with coconut yoghurt mint dip.

It's fascinating how we are all so different. The food pyramid recommendations of the '80's seems so antiquated now. Our bodies are so unique that a one size fits all diet can't work for everyone. Whilst my British husband seems to thrive off meat and three veg, and could live off potatoes, I'm a plate of veggies girl, salads, stir fries and the like. Finding a balance between the two is tricky, but we manage. He always says he's only alive because of the good food I feed him, so that's something.

Really, my approach to healthy eating is simple - eat good food and listen to your body when it says to slow down on the food that isn't doing you good.

What's your approach to healthy eating?

This is in response to @naturalmedicine's Food Pyramid challenge, which you can find here. It's open to June 5th - check out the guidelines and join in!

Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/hive-197955/@riverflows/more-vegetables-less-sugar-keeping-on-top-of-adrenal-fatigue-and-feeling-healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment