Friday, July 16, 2021

Treatment Day

https://images.hive.blog/p/26uUsAjKTsXCDw7zixZR182JbFKvgzJ9YwsFpTVcRaGCmsqhA1unTgprHGZr92j2SrTTU3TqX33XL56LtSsgncRJXJQQq2wHspFPyQmtxsHTjyQcFoESZee73RLADZYgfKQSytyhk3BwhxTZQkjbLvDyMUtmkVoPWuaCbY.png?format=match&mode=fit

I have my usual scheduled treatment ongoing and it concerns me a little bit after the stroke. Firstly, it is common that I get quite bad headaches after the treatment usually and that raises obvious worries and secondly, I am on new medications, adding more risk of interaction between. They have of course checked that it is safe, but bodies are complex, unique and the more conditions we introduce, the higher the chance of unexpected side effects.

IMG_20210716_094921.jpg

I wrote a post a long, long time ago called something like "The Butter Complexity" (can't find it now) looking at the difference in molecular structure between butter and Burana. While doctors can confidently say Burana is safe, they can disagree on butter, even though Burana has a far more complex structure, is man made and has only been introduced into the human body a relative handful of years, while butter has been consumed for thousands.

Condidence in opinion doesn't mean that the opinion is right, but of course it is reassuring to have for example, a confident doctor when patient mindset matters. Humans do not really understand probabilities very well at the intuitive emotional level, even when they have experience with the math of them, meaning that the probability of adverse affect or chance of survival do not get accurately experienced by the patient.

This of course can be seen in many other cases too, for example in the lottery, which is why so many people enter, because someone has to win. But, people hope it will be them and their hope makes them feel they can beat the odds. For some illnesses and probably for many circumstances, hope is part of the mindset that helps healing and survival and is possibly part of what makes humans so potent in this world, as we not only act on instinct, we can act in the hope of success of things we have designed and built.

The probability of that someone winning the lottery being me is so low I don't bother entering, but I used to. However, I stopped hoping for it a long time ago and started work g for it instead, building and creating in the hope that what I have made is successful. This "making" takes many forms, including learning, skill development and the actual creation of ideas into a reality, but each step is done with the hope that it adds to an improved experience, for me or for others, hopefully both.

This has also influenced my investment mindset, as while I hope the markets are favourable for me, I also understand enough that high price is meaningless to me, if I haven't prepared the foundation to benefit from it.

What I really enjoy about investing in crypto in comparison to the concept of winning the lottery is, who benefits. If I win the lottery, I win and my family and perhaps my local community will benefit. However, if crypto performs well, I win and millions of people around the world and their families win also, distributing value to millions of localised points to benefit many people and their communities simultaneously.

The "win" might be much smaller for each of us than an individual winning the lottery, but the difference it makes compounded across so many points can be far greater. The higher distribution seems like an increase in complexity and from an economic perspective it is, but becausw of the form it takes, it creates a spread blanket that provides security, where the individual failures of points doesn't impact heavily on the total wellbeing of the whole.

When all of the people are not only hoping for a better experience and are actively working toward building a better experience, things are far more likely to improve. When people are passively waiting for a centralized entity to provide better experience, not only is the entity likely unable to meet the needs of the entire body, but its failure will cause a catastrophic failure to the body, even if some parts benefit the conditions it provides.

The current economy is much like this, where the majority of the participants are harmed, while a minority benefit. In some way, it is like treating an organ and making it healthy, while and by destroying other organs on the body. While some parts of the body can fail, the death of the whole body is guaranteed when key organs are lost.

But, if there was a massive change to the current economy, there will of course be unexpected side effects to the way our lives function, some for the better like a more equitable access to opportunity and some for the worse, where at least in the short term, the disruption will cause a lot problems at every level of society.

However, we know that the current conditions aren't working well, so despite the risks and potential for failure, treatment is necessary. All we can do is build the best we can and hope that the failures aren't catastrophic and the outcomes improve our experience.

My treatment is almost done and so far, so good. I am writing on my phone so it has taken a while to create this post, but sitting in this chair tends to make me think about different things in different ways. It doesn't necessarily change my opinions, but it does seem to affect my confidence in the future and increase my hope.

Taraz
[ Gen1: Hive ]


Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/hive-174578/@tarazkp/treatment-day

No comments:

Post a Comment