Saturday, May 30, 2020

Three Foods I Cut From My Diet: Healthier and Wealthier

https://images.pexels.com/photos/2292919/pexels-photo-2292919.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&dpr=1&w=500

A gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, cereal for the kids; you've just spent $20 dollars! The grocery store is a big expense. I went through cancer and wanted to eat as healthy as possible; I cut some foods from my diet and didn't just see a change in my health; I found that I saved a couple hundred dollars per month too.


source

Most Meat:
If you're a total carnivore you won't want to do this. I understand. Sometimes I crave meat, unfortunately a lot of damage was done to my intestines by radiation treatments. Meat is really difficult for me to digest. To be honest, if I eat some kinds of meat, it hurts so much that I cry. So it wasn't too hard for me to say goodbye to meat. I do eat meat one or two times per week, but I have to eat fish or hamburger/Italian sausage; something of that nature. Once I said goodbye to steak, pot roast, (never ate pork), and processed meats; I noticed a huge savings and I felt better. I used to make some sort of meat with dinner five or six nights per week. My grocery bill dipped by approximately $40 dollars per week just by kicking my meat habit (I have two teens at home; so I was buying meat for three people).

Any Prepared Foods:
This was hard at first, but after you've done it for a month or so, I promise that you won't want to eat the junk foods. With two teenagers in the house, pizza rolls, burritos, chips, and easy pop-in-the-microwave foods can seem like a must. No, no, no! Prepackaged foods, processed foods, anything that you buy in the pizza, frozen meal, or canned pasta section of the store; it's full of preservatives, carcinogens, salts, sugars, and God knows what else. Gross and so bad for you! Stop buying it and replace it with fruit, salads, and homemade dishes (homemade mac and cheese is the bomb). I shaved $25 dollars a week off of my grocery bill this way.

I hadn't eaten junk food for months and the other day I was in Springfield. I went to McDonalds for a quick lunch. I got a burger. That night, I woke up and literally thought I would throw up. It tasted like I had eaten something rotten. If you stop eating that junk for a month or two, it will make you sick! Give your body a chance to like and use 'real' food.

Coffee:
I love coffee! I mean, I'm the type of person who can drink coffee all day long! Creamer and sugar are just a part of the perfect cup of coffee for me. Cancer loves sugar, so I knew I had to either drink it black or kick my habit. I'm no John Wayne; I need my girly coffee, so I decided to just say goodbye to the caffeine. Between decent grade coffee, sugar, and flavored creamers, I saved another $15 dollars per week. I'll admit, I was a little grumpy for the first week or so. After a couple of weeks, your body will adjust and you won't even miss the caffeine. You feel more naturally energetic and don't have the afternoon crash.

Cutting these things from my family's diet has saved a nice chunk of change, but more importantly; we are all much healthier. What unhealthy foods could you cut from your diet?


Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/blog/@titianus/threefoodsicutfrommydiethealthierandwealthier-sd8hsgtpz6

No comments:

Post a Comment