Monday, May 11, 2020

Triggered Asthma: Dealing and Coping

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F17%2Fasthma.jpg

Around the time of my Junior year in high school, I got pretty sick, and it didn't seem to go away, no matter what I did. For a couple months my father noticed I was constantly coughing, and after a handful of doctors visits, I found out that I had what they called a triggered asthma. The following are some ways in which I cope with triggered asthma and how you can too.

source

1) Find out what your triggers are

For myself, it became apparent that allergies could very easily induce asthma symptoms. When the weather got warmer (and thus all the pollen and allergens were in the air), I would cough a lot more. This cough, however, was really my way of wheezing in order to catch my breath. By going to an allergist, I was able to determine what things I was allergic too, and in turn could be influencing my asthma.

2) Keep clean areas

One of the possible triggers of my asthma was dust, which I happened to be pretty allergic to. As such, it was important for me to dust my room and keep it clean as best I could (though I didn't always follow with that very well!). When I did start dusting and wiping down all of the surfaces in my room, I found that I could breathe easier and I'm sure it played a part in clearing up my asthmatic symptoms.

3) See a doctor

None of what I did would have been effective if it weren't for my doctor diagnosing me with a triggered asthma. Once he did, however, I was able to follow his directions in order to get it under control. Although today I do not use an inhaler, I did when I was first diagnosed because it was pretty bad at that time. Should my symptoms ever come back very strong, I will definitely consult my doctor first.

4) Live a healthy lifestyle

Although exercise is not a cure for my asthma, I'm convinced that it goes a long way to keeping my body working properly. Not only do I feel better about myself when I'm consistently working out, but I also tend to focus on my health more; this includes eating better, sleeping more, and even being more clean and tidy in my house. As such, it also helped me want to keep my triggered asthma under control.

5) Stay away from smoke

I've learned that smoke can trigger my asthma more than anything else I've come in contact with. I've lived with a smoker for much of my life, but it started bothering me a lot more after I was diagnosed with asthma. To this day, smoke pretty much leaves me incapable of breathing properly. When I take in secondhand smoke, I start coughing a lot and become very lethargic. The fact is, asthma messes up with my breathing, so it makes perfect sense that it's not good for me to be around smoke.


Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/hive-174578/@felip/triggered-asthma-dealing-and-coping

No comments:

Post a Comment