Saturday, October 3, 2020

Sleeptember report

https://i.imgur.com/KlyfmLd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
September passed pretty quickly but this was not just any ordinary September - this was Sleeptember! Of course I was already familiar with the likes of Movember and Dry July, but Sleeptember? [Sleeptember](https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/sleep-well-sleeptember/) is an annual campaign run by the Sleep Council in the UK to promote the importance of sleep and healthy sleeping habits. mrshill suggested we create our own Sleeptember challenge - set boundaries for device usage on an evening through September. We agreed on an 8pm devices down time. The expected benefits from completing this challenge were numerous - tackling my own self-diagnosed device addiction, getting to sleep quicker, sleeping sounder, resulting in having more energy throughout the day. I was a little apprehensive starting off this challenge, but once we got started on September 1, I felt an immediate sense of empowerment. It felt great to shut myself off from the outside world at 8pm. The practicalities were simple - just switch my phone on to Airplane mode. Our usual weeknight bedtime is around 9pm, so once I settled down in bed most nights I read a few pages of my book. I found that pretty quickly my eyelids started to feel heavy - something that didn’t really happen whilst scrolling through endless social feeds on my phone in bed. Another surprise was that I didn’t feel like I was missing out on much. Whatever there was to see on twitter, reddit, discord, hive, etc would still be there in the morning. Overall, Sleeptember exceeded my expectations. I will try to keep up the 8pm devices down routine indefinitely.

*Bedtime reading - my current read, ‘Bruny’.*
Originally posted here: https://hive.blog/sleep/@mrhill/sleeptember-report

No comments:

Post a Comment