Saturday, September 28, 2019

An apple a day keeps the doctor away

https://cdn.steemitimages.com/DQmSdBF8s1Upfns8PimHg5LBYnwnu4LgvVHkNs12yKxf12N/DSC_0025.JPG
Apple season, ya’ll! Apples aren’t my favorite fruit, they are not even my second or third favorite BUT when I get the chance to take home a bunch of fresh apples from neighbours and friends I do not say “no” to that!

DSC_0025.JPG

So what to do with a load of apples that cannot be eaten whole before they start to turn bad? Here are my two top “recipes” that basically act as healthier dessert options, or breakfast, or snacks, depending on how you look at it. 1.Apple compote featuring in “Old Fashioned Danish apple cake” 2.Apple oat muffins **Jytzi’s healthier version of the old fashioned Danish apple cake** So, this is probably not going to be what you think it sounds like. This is not a “pie” in the traditional sense, it is, however, a very traditional Danish dessert. This apple cake is more like a parfait and is layered with smooth applesauce topped with crumble and heavy whipped cream (the pic is from when we were out in a Danish cafe.)

IMG_20190413_123007.jpg

My version is slightly different, healthier you might say, as I am not using any added sugar in my recipe. To make it more nutritious and filling I also use greek yogurt instead of whipped cream and swap the crumble with some dry roasted oats. As I am often improvising I can’t provide you guys with exact amounts of all the ingredients, but I will do my best with some approximates. What you’ll need: -apple compote -yogurt (I like full fat natural greek yogurt, but use whatever is your favorite) -rolled oats -desiccated coconut -cinnamon *For the apple compote:* Peel and cut the apples (as many as you like) into small squares and put them into a pot. Then add a small amount of water, only so much that it covers the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat on low, cover with a lid and let the apples simmer/steam for about 20 minutes. Stir once in a while so the apples don’t get burnt. Let cool and keep in the fridge. I like to make a bigger pot and use the compote for different things, it is also a great topping for oatmeal or even ice cream ;)

DSC_0031.JPG

*Building the apple cake:* Take a bowl, a glass, or a mug for that sake (whatever floats your boat) and add a layer of apple compote. Next up, a layer of yogurt. Lastly, the dry roasted oats. Throw a good handful of rolled oats with a bit of coconut (however much you like) in a pan and turn it to medium heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon and roast until golden. Now top off the apple cake with as much of the “crumble” as you fancy and enjoy! (Yeah... I used a wine glass in this picture as I don't own any dessert glasses, haha)

DSC_0033.JPG

**Apple oat muffins** This recipe requires more precise measurements, but do not fear, there aren’t that many ingredients and it is super easy to make. What you’ll need: -1-2 apples -1 banana -1 egg -1 teaspoon vanilla extract -½ cup (almond) milk (120 mL) -½ cup greek yogurt (140 g) -1 ½ cups rolled oats (150 g) -1 teaspoon baking powder -1 teaspoon cinnamon -salt, to taste -optional: ¼ cup maple syrup (85 g) Preheat oven to 180˚C. Peel and cut the apples into small cubes. Mash the banana in a large bowl until smooth and mix in all the wet ingredients, then stir in the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into a muffin tin or cupcake molds, filling each tin about half full. Top each muffin with the chopped apple pieces and push down into the batter. Bake for about 30 minutes, let cool down, and devour all the muffins :) (This pic is not mine, I've taken it from Cookie and Kate, but the muffins look very similar)

So this is it peeps, my two preferred ways to eat apples. Let me know what your favorite apple recipes are or how you would pimp mine. Stay healthy, full and happy!
Originally posted here: https://steemit.com/food/@jytzi/an-apple-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away

No comments:

Post a Comment