Friday, April 26, 2019

When it comes to exercise, don't only do what feels good. You're body (and mind) will thank you.

https://cdn.steemitimages.com/DQmNWzc2NZJ12gvrYMgQBvxhSn5BxTa5E9wABpccySN1FYz/bruno-nascimento-149663-unsplash.jpg
From the time we learn how to walk we start to develop biomechanical patterns. Our brain, nervous system and muscles optimizes these patterns and they become so ingrained, we can do them without even having to think about it e.g. walking.

bruno-nascimento-149663-unsplash.jpg

[IMG](https://unsplash.com/photos/PHIgYUGQPvU) However, just because a pattern is optimized, it doesn't mean it's optimal for your body. Let me explain: our bodies have evolved to do two things: 1. Conserve energy and 2. Take the path of least resistance. In keeping with these two principles, our bodies develop and habitualize patterns (such as running or riding a bike) until they feel intuitive and effortless. The problem is, just because you developed a biomechanical pattern, it doesn't mean that it is a healthy one. Some people walk in a way that's bad for their knees for example. Suboptimal patterns cause unnecessary wear and tear on your body resulting in join injury or pain and stiffness. The photograph of the guy looking at his phone (below) I took one day as I was riding the train. I think it's probably safe to say that his angle can't be good for his neck and he probably doesn't know he's doing it.

Guy staring at phone.jpg

So how do we make sure our biomechanical patterns are healthy ones for our body? The first step is to recognize and correct asymmetry in your movement patterns. For instance, my right side is stronger than my left and when I do squats, I tend to rely more on my right side - especially when I'm tired and at the end of my set. Step two is to try to correct the asymmetry. So in the case of my lop-side squats, I will stop and take a break if my form starts to go and I will do additional exercises just for my left hamstring to let it catch up the the right in terms of strength. Want to find out what unhealthy biomechanical patterns you have and don't know where to start? Simply ask a friend to look at how you walk, a college how you sit, or a fitness studio buddy how you do exercises and if something looks off and then work slowly to correct this pattern. Remember, if you are trying to correct something like how you walk or sit, be patient as it can take a while to create new patterns.
Originally posted here: https://steemit.com/fitness/@neuroyogaist/when-it-comes-to-exercise-don-t-only-do-what-feels-good-you-re-body-and-mind-will-thank-you

No comments:

Post a Comment