Thursday, June 6, 2019

Home Made Pommade: A cheaper, more sustainable, alcohol free alternative.

https://i.postimg.cc/kMyCtYW2/SwaysMug.jpg
This is my entry to the latest contest from @naturalmedicine found at Steempeak.

My wife and I can go to great lengths at times to make sure we take care of this world for future generations.

From selling our Keurig and buying a normal coffee pot again to conserve plastic waste; using 24 ounce yeti mug with my own 'mug' on it so as to not use plastic cups that my last company bought for me as a parting gift; ditching the gas guzzling cars I loved so much and buying myself a 4 cylinder manual shift Kia Soul to commute to work; not going out to eat and cooking everything from scratch; using cloth napkins at the table so as to conserve waste; and yes, using cloth diapers for our baby. (Highly recommend it!)
One of the biggest changes I had made, and one that I am really proud of is my homemade pomade. 

A couple years ago I noticed two main problems with the products I was purchasing for my hair. 

1. The alcohol ingredients that they put into it would dry out my scalp.

2. I was spending a crap load of money. It would average to about $20 a month.

So I set out on a quest to make my own pomade. Being in my 30's now and still having a full set of hair, keeping it healthy is important to me. So in March of 2017, I purchased an $11.00 bag of beeswax, a $20 tub of coconut oil, and a couple small mason jars I found at Michaels. 




Ingredients

The process is actually pretty simple. The ingredients I use are 1 to 2. 

1 cup beeswax

2 cups coconut oil

You can play around with the ingredients to get the type of mixture you want, as some people prefer 1 cup beeswax to 1.5 cups coconut oil. 

Putting it all together


The next step is to use a double boiler and boil down the bees wax until it's a liquid. If you do not have a double boiler, you can do what I do and use a Pyrex mixing bowl in a pot of boiling water.

Once the bees wax is melted down, add the coconut oil until its mixed together.

Then you just pour the mixture into the mason jar(s) and...

Voila!


It really is that simple. And guess what, that $11.00 bag of beeswax that I bought back in 2017? It's still about 1/4 of the way full! 

So it's a great way to save money, your hair, and the environment. 



Originally posted here: https://steemit.com/ecotrain/@swayzilla/home-made-pommade-a-cheaper-more-sustainable-alcohol-free-alternative

No comments:

Post a Comment