Saturday, June 8, 2019

Quit Dairy

https://i1.wp.com/www.consciousmovement.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/dairy.jpg?resize=400%2C284&ssl=1

‘No species on the planet consumes milk in their adulthood or consumes the milk of another species, except humans’ 

I grew up in a family where my mum was always screaming the benefits of milk for the bones or for my teeth passed down from her parents.

We chugged a warm glass of milk at least once a day if not with our cereals or porridge. At that time I thought each glass was making me stronger and healthier. Milk didn’t taste too bad either and was very filling at the same time. The perfect drink I thought.

When I began researching nutrition and I started seeing posts on social media from people that I respected who gave up dairy and had seen huge benefits. I didn’t really pay it too much attention I thought how bad can dairy be.

Later after finding out what those benefits were I decided to give up milk which wasn’t too difficult as there are some great tasting substitutes in almond milk and coconut milk.

The only dairy that was hard for me to stop was yoghurt and ice cream which I dearly loved. It was not uncommon that I went through 5 packs of yoghurt in a day.When I finally released this temptation I realised the full benefits of quitting dairy and it was powerful. I’ll outline them here :

1. My digestion improved

Ever felt that horrible bloated feeling in your stomach. The cause may simply be dairy.

Dairy is one of the hardest foods to process and over 70 percent of people are lactose intolerant lacking the enzyme to properly digest milk.

2. My skin cleared up even more

I have never had huge breakouts of acne or anything too bad in terms of my skin. After quitting dairy fully which meant no more yoghurt I was told by one guy in the gym the week after that my skin looked different in a really healthy way and asked what my secret was. It was no more dairy and no meat I told him.

There are many cases of peoples skin clearing up once quitting dairy so if any of you have that problem think about your dairy intake.

You see dairy boosts levels of certain hormones and also spikes your insulin levels which produce those pimples and blemishes on your skin.

3. Better Bones 

I believed the opposite for so many years of my life but countries with the lowest rates of dairy consumption like Africa and Asia have the lowest rate of osteoporosis.

4. More energy and vibrancy 

I experience a heightened level of mental clarity after quitting dairy and I was able to sustain my energy better.You see that excess fat, cholesterol and hormones can leave you sluggish. It’s also an inflammation inducing food which is the cause of brain fog.

How to quit 

Remember your WHY when you quit dairy. The reason is to look and feel better. That will bring you a lot more pleasure in the long run.The only reason you crave dairy right now is because you’ve been conditioned into having it.

See I never quit dairy all at once. First, it was no more milk which is an easy swap and then it became everything else once I had adjusted to that.Order the things your gonna have to give up that are the hardest for you then let go of the easiest ones first and every week or two give up another one.

Don’t beat yourself up if you mess up here and there and to be honest this post is mostly about quitting dairy for the most part so if you’re doing that it’s already a huge plus for your health. It will get easier and easier as time goes on.

Replacements Cow’s Milk: almond milk, hemp milk, rice milk and coconut milk.

Ice Cream: There are many non-dairy recipes you can use bananas and coconut milk and trust me they are just as delicious.

Cheese: Various cheeses made from cashews, almonds, and rice blends.

Butter: You can replace this with almond butter, but there are also certain brands such as Earth’s Balance and Fleischmann that carry dairy-free alternatives.

Calcium: Green leafy vegetables, Tofu and/or Fish.

Don’t rely on dairy for healthy bones. If you want healthy bones, get plenty of exercises and enough vitamin D daily.

As you can see dairy is an unnecessary part of your diet and reducing your intake can be very beneficial in all areas of your life.

I hope you found some value in this post. If you did please share / leave a comment with your thoughts below!     
Website: http://consciousmovement.org
Steemit: @conscmovement
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/conscious.movement
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/consciousmovement.org
Twitter: https://twitter.com/consc_movement   


Originally posted here: https://steemit.com/health/@conscmovement/6a7ic1-quit-dairy

No comments:

Post a Comment